Importing guide

Table of contents

Overview of importing
Duties and tariffs
Other resources


Bringing goods into Canada from another country is a regulated activity. If you are thinking about importing, or are currently importing, this guide will give you information on requirements that apply to businesses in Ontario.

Most of the steps involved in this guide should be completed after your business is set up and you know what products you will be importing.

If you need information on starting a business, please refer to our start-up guide.

Read online:
Starting a business

You can also learn more about importing from the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA). Visit their website to access more resources and read their importing guide.

Contact the Border Information Service:
Small and medium enterprises toolkit
Importing commercial goods into Canada

Overview of importing

You should know the following basic requirements before you bring products into Canada:

Business number and import/export program account - Importer - EN

Business number and import/export program account

To import products into Canada, you need a business number (BN) from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and an import-export program account from Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). 

If you don’t already have a CRA 9-digit Business Number for your business you can obtain one through Business Registration Online (BRO). 

Business Registration Online – What you can do

If you already have a CRA business number, you can use it to fill out form BSF947 to request a CBSA Import/Export Program Account.

BSF947 - Request for a CBSA Import/Export Program Account

Contact CBSA:
Importing goods into Canada 

Harmonized Description and Coding System (HS)

You will need an HS number to identify your products. The number is based on an international six-digit 'root' with additional digits for different types of import reporting. The HS number allows officials around the world to apply the correct amount of duties, taxes and regulations to the products entering their country.

Searching Statistics Canada's Canadian Export Classification database can help you identify the HS code for your goods. You will need to know your HS code before you can complete many of the other requirements to import.

Read online:
Canadian Export Classification

Import permits

Depending on the type of products that you want to import and where you import from, you may need a permit to bring the goods into Canada. For example, textiles, food and steel generally require a permit to import. You can find a complete list of controlled goods and the application for import permits on the Global Affairs Canada website.

Read online:
Import controls and import permits



Your business may need licences and permits from the federal, provincial and municipal levels of government.

In addition to the information you will find in this guide, you can use BizPaL to find licences and regulations that may affect your business.

Use online:
Permits and licences search

Advance Commercial Information (ACI)

You may need to submit information about the shipment or cargo that you are bringing in to Canada before it arrives at the border. Visit the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) website to find out what you will be required to provide.

Read online:
Electronic Commerce Client Requirements Document


Food import licensing

You may need a licence if you import food from other countries, provinces or territories. For more information, contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA):  

Contact CFIA - National Import Service Centre:

Read online:
Importing food to Canada: a step-by-step guide
Food imports
Food licences

Food labelling

Imported foods have specific labelling and ingredient requirements. Check with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) to find out which labelling rules will affect your imports.

Contact CFIA:


If you import tobacco products in bulk into Canada, you are required to register to get a certificate to import and obtain a Wholesaler’s Permit. You will also be required to provide and maintain security in the form of a surety bond or letter of credit.

Read online:
Tobacco Tax

Consumer products

Products that you sell to customers in Canada need specific labelling. Your labels usually need to be written in English and French and include the following information:

  • Product identity
  • Product net quantity
  • Dealer's name and principal place of business

The Competition Bureau regulates the labelling of most non-food products. To learn more about the rules for packaging, labelling and advertising these products, contact the Competition Bureau directly or visit their website.

Contact the Competition Bureau:

Single-use plastics rules and restrictions

Single-use plastics rules and restrictions

There are rules and restrictions for using, selling, importing and exporting single-use plastics that may apply to your business. The regulations include common items such as plastic bags, cutlery, straws and various containers. Refer to the Environment and Climate Change Canada’s website for the regulations and guidance on alternative products for your business. 

Contact Environment and Climate Change Canada:
Single-use Plastics Prohibition Regulations


Duties and tariffs

You may need to pay duty on the goods you bring into Canada. The amount of duty is based on the tariff classification and the value of your products. Make sure that you have the HS code for your products so that you can get the right tariff information. If you are importing under CUSMA, you will need specific documents to get the proper duty rates.

Read online:
Customs Tariff

Duty deferral programs

There are custom programs that allow you to defer payments on goods you have imported and will be exporting, under specific circumstances.

Contact Canada Border Services Agency:
Facilitating trade - Duty Deferral Program

Some of the included programs are:

  • Drawback Program
    You can get a refund for the duties you pay on imported goods that are eventually exported.

  • Duties Relief Program
    You can apply to become a qualified company who imports goods without paying duties if the goods are later exported. Before the goods are exported, you can further manufacture or use them in a limited matter.

  • Customs Bonded Warehouse Program
    You can store goods duty- and tax-free in a licensed and regulated facility operated by the private sector. The goods can be stored for a limited time until they are exported or are consumed domestically. 

You may also be able to access duty deferral programs more quickly and conveniently through designated Foreign Trades Zones (FTZs) already established in Ontario:


Your goods need to clear customs in order to be sold in Canada. You may want to hire a licensed customs broker to help you handle your imports. Make sure that the broker you choose is licensed by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

Read online:
Freight forwarders and customs brokers
Import commercial goods

Customs programs that may apply to your business include:

Customs Self Assessment (CSA)

Once you have been actively importing low-risk products for at least 90 days, you may qualify for the CSA program and become a pre-approved importer. As a CSA-approved company, many of your import border requirements are simplified which can save you time and money when moving your goods into the country.

Contact the Border Information Service:
Customs Self Assessment Program

The Free and Secure Trade program

If you’re importing low-risk products from the United States, you may qualify for the Free and Secure Trade Program (FAST). Under FAST, eligible goods arriving for approved companies and transported by approved carriers using registered drivers are cleared into Canada or the United States with greater speed and certainty.

Contact the Border Information Service:
Free and Secure Trade

Other resources

Import-specific links